Intu Milton Keynes is looking for a part time Fire, health and safety officer, working 20 hrs a week and offering an annual salary of £15,000 - £17,500 dependant on experience.
What do we want to do?
At intu we aim to create a compelling, joyful experience for our customers, which in turn means that they stay longer and return more often to our centres. This helps our retailers flourish by increasing footfall and spend.
The purpose of the fire, health and safety officer is to take responsibility for the management and fire strategy for the asset.
You will be the lead person on fire management for the centre and will have a proven track record in this area.
You will be very experienced in fire and health and safety legislative requirements in so far as they relate to the management of a shopping centre and how they relate to landlord and tenant relationships.
You will ensure fire and health and safety compliance throughout the centre through collaborative working with all departments. You will be the lead person on fire management for the centre and will have a proven track record in this area.
In addition you will be able to advise our in house design teams and external stakeholders in the design, construction and layout in relation to fire safety.
What could a typical day include?
Behaviour and culture:
- Live the intu brand. Focus on the personal contribution you can make to the success of intu in delivering “Joy” to our customers. Live our values – be Creative, Bold and Genuine.
- You have a clear vision for the application of World Class Service in all endeavours. You lead by example, uplifting the team, and instill a passion for excellence in delivering customer service. World Class Service not only relates to our customers, but to all stakeholders, including contractors, retailers and colleagues.
- You promote our operational focus on compliance, communication, consistency and collaboration in all you deliver.
- You support intu corporate responsibility objectives including personal support to community projects and activities.
- You are an ambassador for the centre and for the health, safety and fire, and as such you will actively promote recognition for the team, the centre, and the wider business through your exemplary behaviour.
Day to day:
- Maintain fire safety standards and ensure full fire safety compliance is met within the centre.
- Advise the management teams in fire safety related matters.
- Facilitate and deliver the fire safety training of all intu staff.
- Ensures the readiness (and compliance with regulatory requirements) of all fire safety provisions within the centre(s) for which you hold responsibility, i.e. sprinklers, fire detection, fire-fighting equipment, means of escape etc.
- Own and maintain the fire strategy and fire risk assessment within the centre(s) for which you hold responsibility.
- To liaise with the Primary Authority (fire and H&S) and ensure they are kept abreast of your work and developments within the centre(s) for which you hold responsibility.
- Identify high fire risk retailers’ areas and works with them to ensure inspections and conducted and remedial issues closed out.
- Develop and report on discussion documents and briefing papers on all fire safety related matters.
- Develop and update fire safety procedures and other relevant guidance, as necessary.
- Develop and maintain statistical information and prepare reports.
- Assist in the general management duties of the centre and act as duty manager when required to do so.
- Ensure that all visiting contractors comply with the fire safety provisions of the centre(s) and assist in the supervision and guidance given.
- Support the health, safety and fire manager to provide technical support to centre management teams.
- Assist in driving and communicating company policy, in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act, the Fire Safety Reform Order and the OSHAS 18001 Health and Safety system.
- Deliver measurable cultural, behavoural and procedural improvements in fire and health and safety performance across the centre(s) for which you hold responsibility.
- Establish and maintain a solid working partenrship with the Fire Authority and ensure that operational plans coincide.
- Play a pivotal role in the shop fit process within the centre(s) for which you hold responsibility attending to and advising on design-phase fire safety and health and safety compliance queries.
- Conduct investigations of fire (actual fires, false alarms) and safety incidents and accidents producing effective reports based around reducing incident/accident exposures.
- Assist in the completion of health and safety audits and inspection within the centre(s) for which you hold responsibility.
- Respond to customer queries in a professional and timely manner in line with Company Policy.
- Implement and audit fire engineering principles.
- To advise the centre management team of any change in legislation and update the fire strategy accordingly.
- To be familiar and have a working knowledge of Computer Aided Facilities Management (CAFM) to manage statutory compliance around fire.
- To take the lead role in managing all fire projects for the centre and be familiar with risk management principles.
- Advise in house surveying and external design stakeholders in the design of minor works construction or refurbishment projects in relation to prevention/suppression of fires.
- Offer engineering solutions in relation to the use of construction methods and materials in relation to fire safety of buildings and infrastructure.
- Act as a deputy in the absence of the health, safety and fire manager.
What skills and experience we need you to have
· Strong organisational and task management skills.
· The ability to effectively respond to complex enquiries or complaints from centre management and retailers.
· Solve problems and provide innovative solutions.
· To be enthusiastic, motivational, someone who strives for excellence.
· Be someone who takes the initiative and drives for results.
· Be honest, transparent and consistent.
· Gain and hold the respect of others.
· A high energy manager capable of influencing at a senior level but primarily having the ability to communicate effective instruction to delivery teams.
· Confident decision maker, posses strong leadership skills and have people management experience.
· Experience in a similar fast-paced customer facing environment.
· Genuine in all communication and not afraid of having difficult conversation.
· Utmost discretion when dealing with sensitive or confidential information.
Qualifications and experience:
- Experienced and competent in fire safety arrangements.
- Experienced fire risk assessor.
- NEBOSH Fire Certificate. or IQ Level 4 Diploma.
- Experienced in implementing and auditing fire engineering principles.
- Proven delivery of fire projects within a large-scale environment.
- Member of the Institute of Fire Engineers.
- Degree in Fire Engineering.
- Experience of shopping centre fire safety management.
- Experience of consulting and advising on fire design considerations at design and construction phase of commercial refurbishments.
- NEBOSH National General Certificate.
- Membership of IOSH.