What do we want to do?
At intu we aim to create a compelling, joyful experience for our customers, which in turn means that they stay longer and return more often to our centres. This helps our retailers flourish by increasing footfall and spend.
The purpose of the security operations coordinator role is to take responsibility for providing guidance to and supervision of team leaders and operational staff. You are responsible for ensuring that company policies and procedures relating to security are delivered into the centre operation and that all teams operate to the highest standards possible and follow the company security strategy at all times.
You will be expected to communicate at all levels and you will be a fully active member of the management team and expected to work closely with all members of the security team and be visible on the mall in driving forwards standards of service delivery.
You will have a sound knowledge of a control room operation and have the ability and drive to maintain a high standard of service within the centre CCTV control room ensuring that all company policies and procedures relating to the operational technology and Data Protection are complied with.
You will have to work closely with and support your immediate line manager in delivering in the security standards required.
What could a typical day include?
Behaviour and culture:
- Live the intu brand. Focus on the personal contribution you can make to the success of intu in delivering “Joy” to our customers. Live our values – be Creative, Bold and Genuine.
- You have a clear vision for the application of World Class Service in all endeavours. You lead by example, uplifting the team, and instill a passion for excellence in delivering customer service. World Class Service not only relates to our customers, but to all stakeholders, including contractors, retailers and colleagues.
- You promote our operational focus on compliance, communication, consistency and collaboration in all you deliver.
- You support intu corporate responsibility objectives including personal support to community projects and activities.
- You are an ambassador for the centre and for security, and as such you will actively promote recognition for the team, the centre, and the wider business through your exemplary behaviour.
Day to day:
- To maintain the security of the centre property, equipment and information always.
- To ensure all safety fire corridor / escape, pre-opening, medical room / equipment checks are undertaken by staff under your supervision.
- To ensure that the controllers are monitoring service yards, facilitating access / egress as required.
- To supervise through the control room operation the effective management all car parks in compliance with the security assignment instructions and other car park related procedures, to initiate the opening, closing and security of all car parks and log when completed.
- To be responsible for the correct usage, maintenance and repair of all security equipment.
- If complaints are made against any member of the centre security team, to ensure that they are recorded and dealt with in accordance with standing orders.
- To be observant always and report suspicious packages/ persons immediately.
- To work additional hours and show flexibility regarding hours worked as necessary.
- To ensure the deployment of sufficient numbers of staff, ensuring adequate coverage in the event of approved abstractions from duty.
- To liaise with security team leaders for briefing.
- To ensure that duties are undertaken with directions given in accordance with the centre procedures.
- To ensure by example that all members of the shift comply with the company policy of dress, appearance and hygiene always.
- In co-operation with the security manager, to maintain and review employee standards, ensuring all staff receive fair and consistent treatment.
- By example, to ensure that security personnel and team leaders are helpful, approachable and courteous always, developing and maintaining good relationships between the company, retail partners and their employees, members of the public, contractors, emergency services and personnel from other centre departments.
- To be conversant with the operation of the building management systems; to constantly monitor and report all faults to the technical services department.
- To ensure that all security team leaders and security personnel co-operate with the human resources department on all matters relating to their employment, career development and welfare, ensuring a committed and consistent approach.
- To keep the security manager aware of any possible unrest or welfare/discipline problems and work with management to resolve.
- To always be available to officers to listen to welfare problems and act upon them, taking the appropriate course of action in compliance with standing orders.
- To assist management in keeping morale high and motivating shift personnel, leading by example and ensuring compliance with the centre’s code of conduct with a fair and even-handed approach to discipline.
- To ensure a team spirit and co-operation with retail partners, shift security team personnel and other centre departments.
- To ensure the co-operation of the public and retail partners and to be courteous when dealing with them. Where action is called for, staff must be firm in the discharge of their duty without becoming oppressive, aggressive or act otherwise in a manner likely to discredit the centre.
- To liaise with outside bodies as directed.
- To ensure the effective monitoring and assessment by security team leaders and security personnel, ensuring that when deficiencies are observed, appropriate action has been instigated.
- To attend regular meetings with the security manager.
- To train and advise staff in security matters.
- To manage personnel under your supervision, identifying training needs and potential for development in line with company policies ensuring that a high standard of service is delivered across the security function always.
- To update and maintain time and attendance records for payroll.
- To monitor and maintain standards of personnel, including sickness and absence.
- To initiate disciplinary procedures should the performance of any member of staff fall below the expected standard.
- To attend all nominated courses.
- To take responsibility for own training and achieving highest level possible.
- To ensure the continuous security of all company and retail partners’ assets and confidential information.
- To report regularly and in a format agreed with management on the operational state of your shift.
- To implement systems and procedures to ensure standards are continually maintained to the highest specification.
- To act as a shift line manager to security team leaders and security personnel, providing managerial and personnel support.
- To be fully conversant with all procedures in the event of a fire alarm activation, ensuring that all actions taken comply with the security assignment instructions and other related company policies.
- To be fully conversant with all procedures in relation to the centre operation.
- To keep all business and staff information confidential.
- To support senior colleagues in the implementation of corporate policies.
- To provide accurate and timely information as required by the security manager and senior management.
- To attend management, retail partner or other meetings as required.
- To maintain safe working practices in line with HASAWA, the company’s own health and safety policy and all relevant legislation.
- To undertake any further duties requested by the manager, as appropriate to the position.
- To ensure the customer service philosophy is achieved within the department and to seek ways of ensuring team leaders and staff deliver consistently high standards.
What skills and experience we need you to have
- You will need strong supervisory and management skills with an ability to communicate at all levels and meet deadlines and targets.
Qualifications and experience:
- Front Line SIA Security Licence and CCTV Public Space SIA licence.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Effective communication skills both written and verbal.
- Excellent time management skills.
- First aid qualified or willing to work towards.
- Previous experience in working within a retail shopping centre CCTV control room.
- Experience in managing intelligence.