Missing your Greggs breakfasts on the go and picking up your lunchtime meal deal? Do you have more of a sweet tooth and are craving one of their delicious ice buns? Greggs is the ultimate in comfort food and whether you like their (vegan) sausage rolls, iced ring doughnuts with a coffee or one of their freshly prepared baguettes you’re bound to be having withdrawals. Last week as part of our fakeaway series we bought you the Nando’s fakeaway experience to enjoy at home. This week we show you not only how to make the firm family favourite, the sausage, cheese and bean melt (from the Gregg’s It Yourself series) but also how to get the kids involved to create the Greggs paper bag for that authentic feel and the true Greggs experience.
The sausage, bean and cheese melt
What you’ll need:
- 75g baked beans (or a can of sausage and beans)
- 75g puff pastry (no need to create this from scratch you can buy this in most supermarkets)
- 1/2 a sausage
- 30g cheese
- Milk or egg for glazing
- First, cut two squares of roughly 15cm x 15cm ready-made puff pastry
- Then use the egg to wash the edges
- Pop your sausage and beans in a bowl and squash them with a fork
- Place your sausage and beans on one square of your puff pastry and sprinkle cheese on top
- Put your other square of puff pastry on top and fork the edges
- Then egg wash all over and stick in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes or until golden brown and piping hot
The paper bag
Whilst you’re waiting for the melt to bake, it’s time to add the authentic Greggs experience and take the shop-baked look and feel a little further and create your own Greggs paper bag to eat your pastry from. We recommend getting creative and adding your own name or design as the logo for the paper bag.
What you’ll need:
- 1 x A4 or A3 piece of paper (dependant on how big you cut your pastry
- Glue or Sellotape
- Take your piece of paper and place it on a flat surface landscape.
- Fold the right and left sides towards each other so the slightly overlap in the middle and then glue one edge and pat down on to the other.
- Take one of the open ends and make a fold about an inch thick.
- Glue along the flap you have made and press down onto the paper bag.
- Leave to dry.
- Once dry turn your bag over, it is now ready to decorate
- Personalise the bag and your own logo or design
Once you are finished creating your Greggs bag, your pastry will be finished cooking in the oven and ready to take out and let cool down before eating. Remember how piping hot they always are when they first come out of the Greggs oven? We don’t want you to burn your mouths because you’re excited to devour your creations! Once cooled, your sausage, bean, and cheese melt creations are ready to eat, so all that’s left to do is place your pastry in the bag and enjoy. Don’t forget to get napkins out to mop up the melted contents of your bake. We recommend For adding a shop-bought sweet treat such as an iced bun or doughnut to your meal for added Greggs authenticity. Yum!
What’s your go-to order at Greggs and what other sweet treats, bakes or sandwiches are you missing? Let us know over on our intu Facebook page.