When you’ve got kids – whether it’s a newborn, a toddler or multiple little ‘uns – it can feel like you’re buying new clothes for them all the time – they grow so fast, don’t they? And with so much choice nowadays, it can be hard to decide where to start or where to go if you’re looking for something specific.
So, we’ve done the hard work for you and created a round up of the best places to find great childrenswear, including baby clothes, from high street heroes like Primark to surprisingly, places like Boots!
- Price range – £2 to £100, approx
- Age range – 0m to 12yrs
- Best for – Classically eclectic British style that packs as much personality as your little one
- Our top pick – Joules’ playful raincoats and wellies
What started as a clothing stand at a country show in Leicestershire has transformed over 30 years into one of the most beloved clothing brands in the UK. Renowned for their hand-drawn prints created by in-house artists and bold use of colour and pattern, their ‘Little Joule’ collection is designed with adventure and durability in mind – think 100% cotton, machine washable compositions and practical accents like deep pockets and elastic waistbands. And let’s not forget their Mini me collections for both boys and girls!
- Price range – £1 to £55, approx
- Age range – 0m to 16yrs
- Best for – Everything! From schoolwear to teen-specific fashion and kids’ travel accessories
- Our top pick – Matalan’s Character Shop, filled with beloved branded clothes from Disney, Peppa Pig, Toy Story, Fortnite and more
We all know the name Matalan, but what you might not know is that Matalan was founded back in 1985 for the purpose of providing quality and great value products for families – according to Matalan, over 12 million UK families shop with them each year. Supporting family-centric causes is a core value of Matalan’s, who fundraise for the NSPCC and Alder Hey Children’s Hospital Charity. Family values aside, Matalan offer amazing value clothing and accessories, with trend-forward girls and boys collections from £1 and multi-pack baby clothing made from skin-friendly pure cotton.
- Price range – £3.99 to £70, approx
- Age range – 0m to 14yrs
- Best for – Fashion-forward clothing they’ll be excited to wear and show off
- Our top pick – Zara’s new born collection; it might be the chicest we’ve ever seen. Cashmere onesie, anyone?
When we think of building the ultimate fashion-forward, mini-me wardrobe, Zara is the first shop that comes to mind. Their children’s clothing range caters to a wide age range, from newborns to early teens, and reflects changing fashion trends the same way their adult collections do – and we all know how good their women’s and men’s collections are. We’re obsessed with their children’s shoes, which are often more stylish than our own collection.
- Price range – £4 to £90, approx
- Age range – 0m to 13yrs
- Best for – Variety; not only does River Island create their own children’s clothing, they stock brands Levi’s, Barbie, Converse and Juicy Couture
- Our top pick – River Island’s ‘Older Girls’ collection. Created for 5-12yrs, it’s the perfect collection to satisfy their burgeoning fashion obsession!
Where do you shop for the kids that want to dress like their favourite pop and movie stars? River Island is the answer. From pastel dresses that Ariana Grande would approve of to cool accessories even the Beiber wouldn’t turn down. Bonus points to River Island for their amazing girl’s dance and sportswear collection – any motivation to get the kids moving is positive in our books!
- Price range – £1.99 to £49.99, approx
- Age range – 0m to 14yrs
- Best for – Building the foundations of your kids wardrobe
- Our top pick – H&M’s kids Conscious collection. Made from organic and sustainable materials, it’s a small but perfectly formed eco collection
H&M is the go-to for everyday essentials that your littles ones likely run-through at a rate of knots. From 5-packs of jersey leggings to basic hoodies and cotton onesies, H&M is your one-stop-shop for updating and replacing as the kids grow. We’re also big fans of their Cartoons & Comics collection, which is guaranteed to put smiles on their faces and a spring in their step. And with nothing costing more than roughly £50, you’ll be left smiling too.
- Price range – £1.30 to £19, approx
- Age range – 0m to 7yrs
- Best for – Absolute bargains. A three-piece baby girl set for just £5.50? Sold.
- Our top pick – Primark’s cute pyjama sets. Featuring Disney, Marvel and cute animal characters, they’ll make bedtime that bit easier
With a store on basically every high street, Primark’s biggest USP is its accessibility. That and its cheap and cheerful price point – well known to most of us already. Since opening their first store in Dublin, 1969, Primark’s popularity has spread like wildfire. Catering for younger children – newborns to 7yrs – Primark’s collections are some of the cutest on the high street – think Disney motifs, unicorns, rainbows and pink, pink, pink!
- Price range – £2.50 to £215, approx
- Age range – 0m to 16yrs
- Best for – A carefully considered wardrobe. Next really care about the benefits and features of their childrenswear
- Our top pick – Next’s unisex baby range. Shop everything your newborn could need, in gender neutral colours like yellow, white, grey, cream and khaki
Another mainstay of the British high street, Next caters to a wide range of children, from newborns to teenagers. We love that Next’s childrenswear ranges from cute and twee styles, to fashion-forward must-haves and practical everyday pieces. Shopping online? Next have handy filters like ‘Benefit’, which allows you to see which items are waterproof/reversible/adjustable etc, and ‘Made with’, which shows you which pieces are made from 100% cotton or a cotton mix.
Marks & Spencer
- Price range – £1.50 to £44, approx
- Age range – 0m to 16yrs
- Best for – Everything school! M&S leads the field; you can shop schoolwear by student age, region, category and most popular purchase
- Our top pick – Marks & Spencer’s kids’ dress up collection. Perfect for Halloween, fancy dress parties…or just a trip to the supermarket
Is there nothing M&S’ can’t do? They’ve been on the British high street since 1884, helping families survive and thrive, so it’s no surprise that their childrenswear is some of the most comprehensive around. From fun onesies to school uniforms, your little girls first bra to your son’s favourite trainers, M&S is there for every stage of your child’s life. Because it’s not just childrenswear…
- Price range – £4 to £24, approx
- Age range – 0m to 6yrs
- Best for – Fun one-offs, like a trendy varsity jacket for him or a frothy party dress for her
- Our top pick – Boots’ on-going collaboration with Fearne Cotton. It’s colourful, quirky and cool, just like Fearne herself
Children’s clothing at Boots? Yes, really! Catering to young girls, boys and newborns, Boots ‘Mini Club’ offers everything from nightwear to swimwear, coats and jackets to socks and shoes. Surprisingly for a health and beauty retailer, Boots childrenswear is very stylish, with heritage British-inspired prints and fun character-led collections. Oh and did we mention Mini Club purchases count towards your Advantage card points?
- Price range – £3 to £34
- Age range – 0m to 8yrs
- Best for – First time mothers. You can buy baby clothes everywhere nowadays but Mothercare has everything you need, from clothes to bedding, changing mats to car seats
- Our top pick – Mothercare’s ‘tiny baby’ collection, created specially for newborns that weigh 5lbs, or have a low birth weight
Dedicated to everything motherhood, as the name suggests, Mothercare has been providing growing families with everything they need for over 50 years. Their comprehensive baby range is shoppable by age and even weight; babies grow fast so Mothercare offers clothing for babies up to 1 month or 10lbs, up to 3 months or 14.5lbs, and so on. And if we do say so ourselves, their all-in-ones are some of the cutest around.