Manager - Birdhouse Coffee Shop
Number of vacancies: 1
Number of hours: 40 hours per week Monday - Sunday with flexibility to meet the operational opening hours of the shop.
We’re looking for a passionate and driven Manager who can demonstrate a strong understanding of the competitive retail environment in which the coffee arena operates.
- Ideally, you’ll have experience of working in the retail sector in a Management position, but we are happy to consider those from a different background who have the requisite skill-set.
- You’ll have a proven track record of improving sales performance and a strong history of talent development teamed with continuous improvement.
You’ll be motivated, driven, and have a high level of commitment to working independently within a team. We encourage independence and creativity, and you’ll be given as much responsibility as you can handle.
What a typical day could look like:
- Welcomes customers by determining their coffee interests and needs.
- Educates customers by presenting and explaining the coffee drink menu; answering questions.
- Sells coffees and coffee grinding and brewing equipment by explaining differences in coffee beans and coffee preparation machines; demonstrating how brewing equipment operates.
- Prepares and sells coffee drinks by following prescribed recipes and preparation techniques for coffee drinks, such as, expresso, expresso lungo, caffe latte, and cappuccino.
- Generates revenues by attracting new customers; defining new and expanded services and products.
- Maintains inventories by replenishing coffee bean supply; stocking coffee brewing equipment; maintaining supplies, pastries, and food for coffee bar.
- Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Maintains safe and healthy work environment by following organization standards and sanitation regulations.
- Improves quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; implementing changes; maintaining and improving the appearance of the store and coffee bar.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading coffee, retail trade, and food service publications; maintaining personal networks.
- Enhances coffee shop reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Manages the ordering and stock system for their store.
- Takes full ownership of the cash handling and banking for the daily takings.
- Plans and ensures the correct staffing is in place for effective trading within the payroll budget.
Skills and experience:
- Previous customer service experience in a service related industry
- Previous staff and administration planning in a retail environment
- Ability to work well under pressure with high customer traffic
- Taking initiative and working well independently
- Attention and an eye for detail
- Flexible and works well with a team
- Knowledge of health, safety, and hygiene in the retail food production environment